Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Anyone using this polly damping material?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Anyone using this polly damping material?

    Parts-Express.com:Acousta-Stuf Polyfill 5 lb. Bag | sound dampening sound polyfill midrange fiber dampening cleaner cabinet_damping


    Apparently, it is designed to fill the cab and it is supposed to extend the low frequency tuning of any giving box.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Parts-Express.com:Acousta-Stuf Polyfill 5 lb. Bag | sound dampening sound polyfill midrange fiber dampening cleaner cabinet_damping


    Apparently, it is designed to fill the cab and it is supposed to extend the low frequency tuning of any giving box.
    I used this stuff for some large subs.
    It is very clean and non-toxic and I thought there was a randomness to the fibers.
    I have two large garbage bags loaded with this stuff.
    Free to anyone....probably 150 bucks worth...I have no use for it
    with the system I own now.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    Great for stuffing TLs and sealed cabs, but typical vented cabs should use just sheet insulation as Altec did.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member NKF's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2009
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    I have used air conditioning fiberglass "duct board" in the past. Very safe, ridged and easy to cut. It works well in vented boxes. I believe its about 1 inch thick and comes
    in 4' by 8' sheets.

    Nick

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    This was Altec's preferred insulation, hence mine too. Their outside custom vendors OTOH used all manner of insulation from Celotex to R-19 backless wall insulation apparently to keep costs down.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    GM

    What do you recommend for vented boxes ? Polly Fill , the 1" A/C board, or some other material ?

    Don

  7. #7
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    I used a ton of this stuff recently in a pair of 5 foot ported furniture grade cabs using a 15" JBL 2226. Apparently, the cabs are a tad too small in volume for the recommended driver.

    Anyway, although I do not have any electronic testing equipment, I did a - one cab filled and - one cab empty hearing test.

    The results of this stuffing were very significant including (1) less external cab vibration, (2) the lowest frequencies are more defined.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    I wonder if 1,000 lbs of poly in a 5 ft box bears any resemblance to 3 lbs of sh** in a 2 lb bag...?
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    If you have not tried this material, you might want to give it a fair shake before passing judgment.

    Frankly, the relatively high cost of poly put me off but I decided to try it based on the recommendation of others. For a ported enclosure, it has been a pleasent surprise.

    In my next project, I will try polly in a sealed box.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Anyone using this polly damping material?

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    I wonder if 1,000 lbs of poly in a 5 ft box bears any resemblance to 3 lbs of sh** in a 2 lb bag...?
    I don't know Bfish...... we have indoor plumbing here in the north. You use bags?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.